Growing as a Technical Writer


Technical writing is a rewarding field. It presents ample opportunities to explore technology, product, and writing. For me, it was a self-reflection journey that helped to discern the area of interest. At times, while researching a product, the product did not captivate my attention that made me emotionally worn out. Yet, I persisted in writing content like a deadpan with no persona or intention to thrive. 

Fast forward a year, I was promoted to mid-level technical writer. I cherished the evolvement with a significant change in attitude towards work. After promotion, I was enthusiastic to explore different forms of writing. Overall, I was relaxed and complacent with growth, a sense of security, belonging, and appreciation at the workplace.  

Being there for a while led me realize that employee motivation is an indispensable aspect of the workplace. When you are with the right company, they value and care for you. They focus on ongoing employee development by facilitating the best resources to improve skillsets. In return, employees become productive, and companies can render the best value from them. 

I want to reach out to technical writers who have started or are on the journey. In a corporate world, especially the field that requires an equilibrium of technical and creative aspects, it takes perseverance to sustain. Therefore, I encourage you to keep moving forward. There are times when you no longer feel competent because you are rewriting the content handed by the developer or you are assigned a task to proofread and edit content. Even the situation, don't try to fit in. You can stand out, so choose the company that values you and your work. 

Finally, the growth as a technical writer is worthwhile; embrace the varied experience.